The YMCA challenges you to participate in our new monthly #HealthyHabit challenges to keep our community active, mindful, and happy!
Our November Challenge: Get Involved in Your Community!
Community is vital to our culture. Whether you realize it or not, the people around you influence your attitudes and everything you do!
When you engage with your community, you can:
- Discover new interests
- Participate in local events
- Meet new people
- Feel a sense of belonging
Do you feel out of touch with the people around you? During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people experienced a loss of company, activities, and connections. Now is the time to rebuild our community! We challenge you this month to immerse yourself in our area. Communities can come in the form of volunteer, professional, hobby-based or even religion-based groups. There are always ways to meet people with similar interests, and here along the Grand Strand, the opportunities are endless. Whether your goal is to meet new people, try new things, or just have something to do, check out our tips and tricks to get involved!
8 Tips and Tricks to Get Involved
- Join a Facebook group. One of the main reasons why people neglect their community is due to a lack of knowledge. You might want to get involved, but don’t know where to start. Joining a Facebook group can help you stay connected to those around you and stay updated on upcoming local events. Try searching “Myrtle Beach, Pawleys Island, and Georgetown SC Events” on Facebook and see what you can find!
- Donate. Donating your food, clothing, or products is a rewarding way to stay involved in your community. There are so many people around you that are in need, and you might never know! If you are fortunate enough to donate your belongings or money, you are making a huge impact on the people around you. And, it will feel so good knowing you are making a difference. We are currently collecting swimsuits and towels for second-graders participating in our Safety Around Water program.
- Attend a local sporting event. What is a universal group that can always bring a community together? A team. The Myrtle Beach/Conway area has plenty of local teams, such as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. Cheering for a team with your community and celebrating their wins is such a memorable experience. Plus, there is nothing better for a player to see than a packed stadium full of supportive fans.
- Shop at a local store. Supporting your community’s small businesses is incredibly important in keeping its culture alive. Instead of shopping at a chain store or eating at a commercial restaurant, try out the unique products and services of something local! By shopping locally, you are helping that business stay alive as well as receiving the personal touch of dedicated people in your community.
- Take a group exercise class. One fun way to meet new people is at the YMCA! Our group fitness classes are a great way to not only stay healthy, but meet new people!
- Volunteer. Volunteering makes the world a better place. The best part, however, is that it has an immediate impact specific to your area. Whether you volunteer at an animal shelter, retirement home, or a soup kitchen, investing your time in those around you it vital to keeping a community alive and cared for. This is a great way to meet new people and form meaningful bonds.
- Go to a cleanup. Not only do you want to be proud of the people in your community, but you want to take pride in how it looks as well. Organized community service is a fantastic way to keep the community looking shiny and new. Cleaning up trash and litter keeps the environment healthy. Through cleanups, you can also meet all the other people who are just as dedicated to their community.
- Join an adult recreational league. Sports are not just for youth and professionals! Staying active is fun and important. When you join a team, you are investing time and effort in those around you are forming meaningful relationships. Competition brings people together! Check out the adult soccer league our YMCA has to keep adults involved!
When you put effort into your community, the benefits are endless. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it! Keep your community clean, happy, and healthy by participating in the November #HealthyHabits challenge!