YMCA camp programs offer a fun and unique experience that give children and teens the opportunity to have their Best Summer Ever™, by meeting new friends, exploring nature, discovering new interests, being physically active and creating memories that last a lifetime.
Attending summer camp is beneficial to every child’s personal development. The experience teaches essential leadership and social skills and helps youth develop confidence and independence.
Summer camp fosters peer friendships and adult mentoring relationships that have positive youth development effects, build resiliency and encourage healthy decision making.
Participation in summer camp is a great way for parents and caregivers to keep kids’ minds and bodies active.
- Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically and gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
- YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional growth, cognitive development, and physical well-being of kids, and provides an environment where kids can belong, build relationships and realize their potential.
- More than 73% of families reported that their child made new friends during camp. (Data collected by Seer Analytics using BaseMetrics surveys)
- More than 75% of families reported that their child felt a sense of belonging during camp. (Data collected by Seer Analytics using BaseMetrics surveys)
The Y encourages parents to give their kids the unique experience of camp to help keep them healthy and engaged during the summer.
Financial Assistance Available
To ensure that all kids have this opportunity, YMCA of Coastal Carolina has an opportunity for financial assistance to help parents in need send their child to camp.
Five Reasons Why Kids Should Attend Summer Camp
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit www.coastalcarolinaymca.org for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Our camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and helps children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth are encouraged to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youths.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories and instill camp traditions that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
YMCA Camp Facts
- The Y is one of the largest providers of camp programs. There are over 1,850-day camps at local Ys across the country, 315 overnight camps for youth and teens and many specialty camp programs that meet the diverse needs of children and teens, such as youth with disabilities and illnesses.
- Ys nationwide serve 950,400 kids and adults through summer day and overnight camp programs. Additionally, more than 420,000 youth, teens, families, school and retreat groups are served each year with group camping overnight programs.
- The Y gives youth early work experience, employing over 61,000 college-aged young adults as summer overnight camp leaders each year, guiding their career interests in youth development.
- Tens of thousands of teens are annually enrolled in “Leader in Training” and “Counselor in Training” program every summer at YMCA day and overnight camps that provide valuable responsibilities in leadership.
Why the Y?
Nationally, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 130 years. The YMCA of Coastal Carolina Camps continue to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build kids’ character.
At the Y, there is a camp program for everyone! From day camp and Preschool camp and specialty camps for differently abled or special needs kids, there is a suitable experience available to meet the diverse needs of campers. Camp staff are intentionally focused on helping youth develop by experiencing accomplishment, building friendships, and creating a unique sense of belonging at camp.
YMCA Camp Programs
- Day Camp: Day camp can offer almost all the benefits of traditional camp — new experiences, skill building, a sense of community and lasting friendships — in rural and urban settings while returning home each afternoon. Ys across the nation offer day camps for elementary age boys and girls and many may have offerings for preschoolers or teens.
- Specialty Camps: Specialty camps are offered at many Ys that focus on programming specialties, such as teen adventure, music, sports, science, arts, and STEM. Specialty camps may also be offered for campers with special needs that are ideal for youth with developmental disabilities, physical and mental health challenges or other issues that may require special attention.
- Preschool Camp: Join us for a summer of exploring, fun, and sunshine! Preschool Camp provides campers an opportunity to enjoy all the exciting experiences and opportunities that summer has to offer. Children explore and grow best through planned, age-appropriate activities.
For more information, please visit https://www.coastalcarolinaymca.org/summer-camp/ and sign up today!